After two years of using Canon 30D I can write down some observations. What kind of photographer am I? Well – I use all photo equipment with care and I don’t shoot all what I see. And I don’t use shutter button like young boys behind computer games 🙂 and this result to 13.000 clicks in two years of normal hobby photographer use.
1. All buttons are on right places, but I have two remarks. Why for devil Canon 30D have a print button? I don’t know any of users who have used this button. The feature can be used from menu and there is no need for button. Instead of this feature there are many other options (mirror lock up button for example). Second is the quality of joystick button. It is not so smooth for using and can be done better.
2. One of the most annoying thing is changing all settings again and again (for example – if you are on the wedding there are some setting for church, other for outside, then you came to home and go to garden and take a macro … uf, uf). Successor (40D) has saving custom setting.
3. Bigger, better and brighter LCD. 40D has better, but it is still not as good as LCD on Nikon D300 (yes, for twice of price).
4. Live view is a nice feature for macro and 40D has this.
5. White balance isn’t the best. I use RAW and Whibal card, so I can always know what was the “right” temperature. In my opinion 30D has to cold color. You can change this in setting and recalibrate the White Balance.
6. I miss AF button. I use * for focusing and shutter button for exposure reading ans shooting. But with this custom function (it is great otherwise) I lost Flash exposure lock. 40D has it.
7. Sensor cleaning missing – maybe sensor cleaning in 40D isn’t enough, but it is better than nothing. So this is a nice feature.
8. Belt over neck are bad. It is raking up and holds skin. You can buy better one (from thirty-part), but it is shame for Canon.
9. I really missed zoom in “preview after shoot was taken”. When I take a shoot, camera shows me a picture (you can set for how long). I often want to check picture at bigger zoom – but I can’t. It works only, when you leave this “aftershootpreview” and press Preview button. Then it works.
10. Viewfinder should be brighter (and bigger). STOP.
This is my point of view after two years after two years. You can have your own comments, maybe I forget something.
In one sentence – 30D is great camera with some small minuses. Successor is better and 30D can’t compete with today features in many things except one – image quality. Image quality is very good and if you have good lenses and can find 30D in good condition, this can be a bargain.