Let’s go forward with road navigation. I have picked Navigon for today’s trip. It looks very promising on paper, but how did it turn out?
+ Very good user interface where destination or POI is selected.
+ Nice summary of destination/weather/traffic before navigation starts.
+ Smooth activity.
– Non intuitive switching off voice guidance.
– Sticking icons (Enter an address, My destination, Search for POI…) on home screen.
– Roads on map don’t use different colors to distinguishing category.
– Car position on screen is usually a little late.
– The biggest disadvantages is the same as with Garmin StreetPilot – very bad route selection. Navigon uses Here maps – the same as Garmin StreetPilot. If I use IGO, TomTom maps are my first selection. Today I replace TomTom maps with Hero maps on IGO. And I saw almost the same routes as with Navigon and Garmin StreetPilot. This is proof that maps are very important. IGO has a big advantage here, because we can use maps from different providers. Hero maps (or Navteq before) aren’t my first selection if I can choose. I simply have problems with them almost every trip.
Rating: 5/10 (check whole ratings table)